Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Mini Review on Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

What do you get when you combine a baseball star and a comic book/action figure phenom?  A fantasy action RPG, of course!  And how do you get people to try a new franchise in this age of sequels?  Throw in some free and awesome schwag for one of those said sequels.  Kingdoms is a fun romp, but not without it's flaws.  I played this when the demo first launched and found myself enjoying it until the game froze on me, thus keeping e from unlocking the Mass Effect weapon...Upon playing it once again today, I found myself not hating the game, but not loving it either.  Maybe it's the amount of time I've spent in Skyrim, but this title definitely feels like a poor man's version of that title.  With similar combat, crafting and lockpicking mechanics it is apparent that members of that staff were hired by this studio.  It stands as a bit of a hybrid, though, as it also adds the charm, simplicity and cartoony feel of Fable.  With some witty writing and Todd MacFarlane's impeccable design, this game is definitely a step up from the rabble.  My main concern with it was how small and linear the dungeons feel and how twitchy and sensitive the camera is.  I thought we were past the days of constant RS babysitting to keep the camera in place.  Overall, this game shows potential for depth and a charm that I'm sure will propell the story along.  If for nothing else, try the demo for the amazing McFarlane designed Mass Effect 3 gear, but hurry because time is running short!

No comments:

Post a Comment